Tapered Ipe Plugs Video
Regain the Elegance of your Ipe Deck with Tapered Ipe Plugs
Hello! My name is Becky with AdvantageLumber.com, and these are Tapered Ipe Plugs.
Ipe decking is one of the most elegant hardwoods in the world. The one thing that could disrupt that elegance is the visibility of stainless steel screws on every single deck board. AdvantageLumber.com has come up with a solution though, that will eliminate the appearance of these screws and give you a sleek elegant surface once again.
Available in the rich tones of our luxurious Ipe hardwood, these plugs and are milled to cover holes left by screws. These tapered ipe plugs are made out of the exact same material as our ipe decking. This will give you optimum results when you install them and a flawless looking deck.
These hardwood plugs have a length and diameter of 3/8” and a taper of 1 degree for easy installation. This tapered is designed to allow the plug to be inserted into the countersunk hole easily.
To Install Tapered Ipe Plugs:
- Predrill a hole into the deck board, ensuring that there is a countersunk 3/8” hole
- Fasten the board down with a stainless steel screw
- Once the board is fastened, insert some wood glue, like Gorilla Glue, into the hole
- Insert the plug, you may need to tap it with a hammer to make sure it is securely in the hole
- After the plug is inserted, take a hand saw and remove the excess plug that is sticking up over the deck board
- Take an orbital sander, and 80 grit sandpaper, and sand down the surface until the plug is flush with the deck board
- Repeat as needed
These plugs will also keep nails from popping up out of your new deck. You will gain a safer surface and a peace of mind.
Not only are these plugs great for decking, but they’re perfect for stairs, fences, or any ipe project.